Wednesday, August 5, 2015

MAPPING A FACE

For my first attempt at 'mapping' a face I chose a wonderful photo of Louise Bourgeois in her very old age, by the famous photographer Alex Van Gelder, but for copyright reasons I'm not uploading it on this blog.

I first drew from it with my left hand and not looking at the page, only at the image. I only looked at the sketch when I was finished. It's a very difficult exercise but really interesting. Also if it was impossible for me to obtain even the vaguest resemblance it was a way of exploring this face in a more intimate way.


FIRST SKETCH IN PENCIL



SECOND SKETCH WITH A FIBRE PEN

In this one I start to see a suggestion of the eyes and the mouth, perhaps also of the ears. I love this exercise, also included in the book Drawing Projects, and I shall repeat it again with real people during my vacations! I am not sure that they will be very happy ....




THIRD SKETCH OF THE SAME FACE

This time again I did not look at the photo while drawing but I used my regular right hand and I felt much more comfortable. I also start to see a real face.





PLEATS AND WRINKLES TRACED


In this case I am trying to find the main lines in the face and moving towards a map. I did not use colour so far because the idea was to look only at patterns.




A MORE ABSTRACT VERSION


Here I recreated the main lines traced on the photo in photocopied paper using a cutter.




3 comments:

  1. This is fascinating Daniela! I think old faces are so interesting - a map of the person's personality and experiences. I love your final abstract image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Catherine! now that you too have the book we can exchange ideas and views on the wonderful projects! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. LearnNewSkills.co.uk is a unique platform which will help you gain new qualifications and help you stand out in a competitive job market, progress in your current career or move into a completely new filed. Distance learning is always flexible and you can study anytime anywhere you want. Our main purpose is to help potential students find the right qualifications they need to succeed, under one platform. LearnNewSkills is a unique platform which will helps Learn New Skills. Here are the best options for Distance learning, Learn new Skills, Distance learning courses,Home Learning courses and Short Courses.

    ReplyDelete